How We Reduce Pain:
by Lawrence Janowski, MD, Medical Director
The number one fear among clients seeking aesthetic procedures is the pain and discomfort during or after treatment. Understanding this, I strive to make every procedure as pain-free as possible. There are a number of techniques I use, and often combine them during procedures to maximize comfort:
- Dental Block – when doing procedures in or around the lips, I inject lidocaine in the mouth similar to a dentist. A pre-numbing gel is applied first before these injections. The numbing effect is immediate, and lasts about 30 minutes
- Local anesthetic – lidocaine can be injected at injection sites on the skin to provide immediate numbing, and to reduce bruising risk
- Topical anesthetic – if time permits, an anesthetic cream can be applied to the face.
- Vibratory anesthesia – a vibration tool is applied to the face during injection to distract the patient and reduce pain sensation.
- Ice – ice can be applied to any area prior to, and after, injections.
- Lidocaine in filler – all commercial fillers are prepared with lidocaine mixed in, or it can be added to the product prior to injection.
- Tumescent anesthesia – for advanced or invasive procedures, lidocaine is infiltrated underneath the skin
- The “Snap” Technique – in my many years injecting, I’ve found that patients find a quick insertion of any needle causes far less anxiety, and sometimes, the needle is not even felt by patients. I like to use what I call a “snap” technique, which helps me deliver the most gentle injections possible
- Steroid injection – while not a pain control measure, if it appears that you might swell, we can inject a steroid that should greatly minimize swelling.
- We send you home with both oral and topical Arnica to help lessen the possibility or length of a bruise. We also send home Bromelain, which has been known to minimize bruising and swelling. We suggest you ice post-treatment (unless otherwise advised).
- We suggest you avoid Ibuprofen, fish oil, and alcohol proir to your procedure, as they can increase the likelihood of a bruise.
Your comfort is of great concern to us. Please let us know how we can make your experience as easy as possible.
*Results may vary from patient to patient
*DISCLAIMER: All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Products, product names, and/or other names that are referred to on this website may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third parties. We make no claim to these trademarks. Certain third party trademarks, product names, or company names may be fairly used for informational, comparative, or editorial purposes, for purposes of comment or criticism, and/or to accurately reference such third party products.