The Dysport Aftercare Guide
Our pre and post treatment instructions
Serving Denver, Broomfield, Westminster, Boulder, Arvada, and surrounding areas
Botox® and Dysport are some of the most well known, and most widely used, medical aesthetic products in the world. Botox® has been FDA approved to treat conditions ranging from an overactive bladder, to crossed eyes, to chronic migraines. Both Botox® and Dysport are most commonly used to relieve facial wrinkles, especially in the forehead, between the eyes, and on “crows feet”. The beauty of these products is that they are fairly straightforward to administer and typically have zero downtime. You are about to learn Dysport Aftercare “tips and tricks” on how to get the most out of your Dysport injections, and we’ve shared ours with you below. Our pre and post treatment guide comes from ~15 years experience and thousands of injections performed by Dr. Janowski.
As always, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone at 303.469.0064 or through email / Facebook message.
What to know before your appointment –
As with any injectable treatment, there is always a possibility of bruising around the treated area(s). Along with our simple guidelines, Dr. Janowski has perfected his own “snap technique” in order to minimize any bruising and/or pain. Our staff will cover all of this with you in our Broomfield, Colorado office after your free consultation with the Dr.
- check 5-7 days before treatment – to prevent or minimize bruising, it’s recommended that you avoid blood thinning over the counter medications such as Aspirin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, and Motrin. Also avoid herbal supplements like garlic, ginko biloba, omega-3 capsules, and vitamin E.
- check 2-3 days before treatment – avoid “anti-aging” products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols and Retinoids, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, and Glycolic Acid. Also refrain from waxing, tweezing, bleaching, or using another hair removal product on the area to be treated.
- check 24 hours before treatment – avoid drinking alcoholic beverages for 24 hours pre and post treatment to help prevent bruising
- check Always inform your provider if you have a history of perioral herpes, or if you have a current breakout.
- check Always consult with your physician if you are being medically prescribed blood thinners before discontinuing use.
- check Do not use Botox® or Dysport if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any ingredients, or suffer from neurological disorders.
- check Always ask any and all questions you might have!
On the day of your treatment:
- Arrive to the office with a clean face – no makeup. If you’d like, you can bring makeup to apply after the treatment.
- A mild amount of tenderness around the treated area is sometimes experienced.
- Redness and swelling after a Dysport injection are normal. However, if the redness / swelling persists and becomes painful, please contact our office immediately!
- Even with preventative measures, and the Dr’s “snap technique”, some bruising might occur. Any bruising will typically only last a few days at most.
- Topical numbing agents can be applied as necessary. Please ask Dr. Janowski beforehand if you would like to explore this option.
Dysport Aftercare Instructions:
- Try to exercise the muscles around the treated area(s) – practice smiling, frowning, raising your eyebrows, clenching your jaw, etc. This can help work the Dysport or Botox into the muscles.
- Although there are differing thoughts on the subject, we recommend that our patients not lie down for a few hours post treatment.
- Avoid strenuous activity immediately following treatment, and try to avoid long periods of bending over – we’re looking at you, Yoga!
- You can gently apply ice or a cold gel pack (we have them if you need). This can help reduce swelling and potential bruising.
- Once any swelling or pinpoint bleeding has subsided you can apply makeup around the treated area.
- Do not try to “rub in” the Dysport around the treated area. It’s best to avoid putting any excessive pressure on the treated area for the first few days – especially when cleansing or applying makeup. Be gentle!
- You make take Tylenol or other acetaminophen to help with any mild discomfort
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Avoid extended UV exposure until any redness or swelling has subsided, and always wear sunscreen.
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours before receiving any other skin care or laser treatment (or as directed by your Botox® / Dysport provider)
Enhancing your results:
- While the actual amount (units) vary from patient to patient, typically less is more, especially with younger patients. The right amount of Dysport will be determined by you and Dr. Janowski during your free consultation.
- As with any cosmetic procedure, it’s important that you find an experienced Dr. to perform the injections.
- Dysport can take between 3-7 days to “kick in”, although some areas make take effect earlier than others. If, after 7 days, you are not happy with the results, please contact our office!
- For most patients, the benefits of Dysport treatments can be enhanced by using a medical-grade skincare system, such as the Obagi line. Products containing Vitamin-C can strengthen the skin and improve laxity and texture. Additionally, use of Tretonoin (or Retin-A) helps rebuild cells in the skin’s epidermis (or top layer). Over time, Tretonoin can strengthen skin, improving firmness and resiliency.
- 98% of skin damage (aging, wrinkles, dark spots, and hyper-pigmentation) is caused by sun damage. Wearing sunscreen is critical to maintaining the look and health of your skin. Sunscreen should be re-applied after every 4 hours of sun exposure. Dr. Janowski recommends a sunscreen with an SPF 45 or greater.
The results of Dysport are best with regular and continued treatments over time, so be sure to schedule your next treatment within about 3 months for optimal and continued results. Our goals are to have you living healthy, confident, and happy with the results! We’re happy to help you live your most beautiful life!
*BOTOX® and JUVEDERM® are registered trademarks of Allergan. Sonata Aesthetics, this Dysport Aftercare Guide, and this website are in no way affiliated with Allergan, the maker of BOTOX® cosmetic/botulinum toxin and/or JUVEDERM® injectable fillers and any use of those names or marks on this website (or otherwise) does not imply and should not be purported to imply any affiliation with or endorsement by Allergan.
*Results may vary from patient to patient