Everything You Need to Know About Microneedling in Colorado
Serving Denver, Broomfield, Westminster, Boulder, Arvada, and surrounding areas.
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling, or collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive treatment to rejuvenate your skin. Using a tiny, pen-like device with fine needles, Dr. Janowski create tiny punctures in the top layer of the skin, which triggers the body to create new collagen and elastin. In other words, it promotes active skin renewal, encouraging the body to firm and tighten the skin around these "micro-injuries". Other amazing results include a reduction in scars (especially acne scars), pore size, and stretch marks.
Microneedling is similar to fractional lasers and radio-frequency devices, but much more comfortable. Heat from lasers can be uncomfortable for some, and can potentially flare up conditions like melasma, rosacea, and can cause uneven darkening in skin of color.
Piercing the skin, by any means, can open one up to infection. Because of this, it's imperative to trust only a reputable Dr. or Aesthetician with solid experience - and of course sterile tools!
What Can Microneedling Do For Your Skin?
Reduce and smooth fine lines and wrinkles in the face
- With just a few sessions of microneedling, there will be a noticeable reduction in fine lines, crows feet, smile lines, and deep wrinkles in the forehead.
Repair acne scars
- According to a 2009 study on the effects of microneedling on scars, particularly acne scars, nearly 100% of participants reported a significant improvement in the visibility of scars! While lasers can be equally effective in treating acne scars, many patients prefer microneedling because it's less painful and has less downtime.
Reverse pigmentation and sun damage
- Microneedling can be used for more than just wrinkles. Collagen is arguably the most vital way to improve the look of our skin, and microneedling is specifically designed to stimulate collagen growth. By stimulating this growth it's possible to reduce sun damage and discoloration, including hyperpigmentation that comes with melasma.
Reduce the signs of aging
- As we age our skin produces less collagen, which can result in sagging skin. In addition to smoothing fine lines and deeper wrinkles, microneedling can also tighten loose skin by encouraging the production of collagen in treated areas - making it perfect for older men and women.
Supercharge your skin care products
- According to studies, only about 4-8% of our skin care products actually penetrate the skin! Because microneedling creates thousands of small punctures in treated areas, it dramatically improves the absorption rate of our expensive lotions and serums, making them exponentially more effective.
- Although microneedling creates thousands of micro punctures in treated areas, it can actually reduce the size of your pores. As the skin is healing and producing more collagen around the pores, the skin plumps and visibly reduces pore size.
The potential applications of microneedling are vast, and as physicians study this new technique, patients are reaping the benefits of effective skin renewal with no down time.
What to Expect During your Microneedling Session at Sonata
During the micro-needling session in our Broomfield, CO office, topical products are driven into the skin using the microneedle. This allows for enhanced absorption of powerful cosmeceutical products. At Sonata Aesthetics, Dr. Janowski’s preferred topical agent is your own Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). Your own plasma contains your most powerful healing agents, and by using the microneedling device to help the PRP penetrate your skin, you are essentially doubling up the healing and renewal effects. The use of PRP with microneedling is known as the Plasma Facial – a procedure Dr. Janowski has been specially trained to perform.
Microneedling Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the cost of microneedling at Sonata?
As with most procedures, it depends on the specific areas that are being treated. We are always offering treatment packages that combine PRP and PRFM, so please call or email to find out what works best for you!
- Does microneedling hurt?
We use a numbing cream before the treatment. So discomfort, if any, is minimal.
- Is there a difference between microneedling and dermarollers?
While at-home dermarollers can help your skin produce collagen, microneedling by a professional like Dr. Janowski is advised for the best results. We have performed this procedure thousands of times and have helped many patients reduce wrinkles, tighten skin, and rid the face of unsightly acne scars.
- Can I microneedle if I have Botox or Fillers?
Yes! Schedule your microneedling procedure just before your Botox / Filler appointment for WOW results after you've healed. We recommend at least 48 hours if you've already received your botox injection, and 1 week for fillers.
- What is the recovery time?
Little to none! Most of our patients return to normal activities immediately following the procedure. Immediately following the procedure, your skin will appear flushed, and you will want to avoid wearing make-up or other topical products for a few hours to a day. Your skin is extremely porous following the procedure and you want to make sure that you aren’t applying anything abrasive or harmful to the skin at this time.
- How long until I see results?
We typically do a series of 3 treatments, with some recovery time in between each. Final results typically take a few months as the skin produces more collagen and elastin.
- What skin color / type is best for microneedling?
Any and all! Microneedling is safe to use on all skin types and colors without risk of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.
- Am I a candidate for microneedling?
The short answer is probably yes! It's safe for all skin colors and types, but there are a few restrictions: It is not suitable for patients who have open wounds, cuts, abrasions, have had radiation treatment in the last year, suffering from a skin infection (such as herpes simplex), are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have a history of poor wound healing.
*Results may vary from patient to patient
*DISCLAIMER: All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Products, product names, and/or other names that are referred to on this website may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third parties. We make no claim to these trademarks. Certain third party trademarks, product names, or company names may be fairly used for informational, comparative, or editorial purposes, for purposes of comment or criticism, and/or to accurately reference such third party products.