Maintaining high levels of vitamin C is crucial for healthy, glowing skin
Vitamin C is a powerhouse nutrient for your skin – but since we can’t make vitamin C in our bodies, supplementation- topical and oral- is a great way to ensure we’re getting enough.
How Vitamin C Benefits & Protects Your Skin
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. While it doesn’t absorb UV light, its antioxidant activity protects against UV-induced damage caused by free radicals. Basically, it acts as a scavenger, helping to rid our bodies of the damage that can come from environmental stress like pollution.
- Vitamin C is necessary for our bodies to produce collagen. Pre-clinical studies provide strong evidence that vitamin C enhances collagen production and reduces photo-damage including wrinkles and pigmentation. Collagen is a protein that works like glue to bind cells together. It’s the most abundant of fibers in our connective tissue, which gives our bodies form and support. Collagen is found in the connective tissue of our skin, teeth, bones, organs, and cartilage. Collagen keeps our skin firm and resilient, protecting it from wrinkling.
- Vitamin C is beneficial in wound healing. Pre-clinical studies have also revealed a potential connection between vitamin C supplementation and accelerated bone healing after a fracture.
Now that we know how great vitamin C is for skin health, how can we ensure we’re getting enough to maintain that glow?
Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin c, for example, citrus fruits, tomatoes, potatoes, red and green peppers, kiwi, broccoli, strawberries, brussel sprouts, and cantaloupe. Sonata carries the supplement Heliocare, and 1 capsule contains 50% of your necessary vitamin C intake for the day. For adults, the recommended daily amount for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 2,000 mg a day.
Signs you may have vitamin C deficiency:
- Bright red hair follicles
- Rough and bumpy skin
- Dry skin
- Skin that bruises easily
- Wounds that take a long time to heal
- Bleeding gums
- Unexplained weight gain
- Poor immunity
Instead of wasting money on over the counter expensive collagen supplements that have zero proven benefits, put your money where you mouth is and up your vitamin C intake for the skin you’ve always wanted. Visit our health care store and get yours today!
*Results may vary from patient to patient