Sonata’s Pre-Treatment Guide: For many of our most popular procedures
Being informed and prepared is the best way to get the most out of your beauty treatments!
1st things 1st: Sun Exposure: For almost any procedure, and for your general overall skin health, we advise you avoid excessive sun exposure.
Before Botox®/Dysport®, Short or Long-term filler treatments:
With any injectable treatment, there is a possibility of bruising. Bruising can be minimized by avoiding medications and products that thin the blood, such as aspirin, fish oil, ibuprofen and alcohol.
Botox®/Dysport® take between 2-7 days to “kick in” and some areas may appear to take effect earlier than others. After 7 days, if you are not pleased with your results, please contact our office.
Filler injections also have the possibility of bruising. Some of our products are more hydrophilic than others (meaning they attract water) and therefore, you may have some swelling. Areas such as under the eyes and in the lip area are the most likely to swell.
Ways to prevent a bruise:
While we can NEVER guarantee that you will not bruise or swell, we do our best to make the experience as easy as possible. The vast majority of patients will not bruise.
There are a few “at home” things you can do help prevent bruising:
- Avoid fish oil, aspirin, ibuprofen and alcohol for a few days prior to your procedure/treatment. These substances are natural blood thinner and will make you more likely to bruise.
- You can pre-treat yourself with both oral and topical Arnica, a homeopathic remedy. Arnica can lessen or reduce the chance and severity of a bruise.
If you are a person who bruises easily, if you have thin skin, or if you are on blood-thinners, you are more likely to bruise.
During your procedure:
Dr. Janowski does several things during the procedure to make it as easy as possible for you. We all want to look our best and most natural, and many of us are wary of needles. We understand that. In order to help your treatment be as comfortable as possible, Dr. Janowski may use topical numbing cream, locally injected anesthesia (lidocaine), ice, vibratory anesthesia (a vibrating device to distract you during your treatment), steroid injection post treatment to reduce swelling, and numbing agents present in the fillers themselves. Along with his experience and advanced techniques, using these measures when needed can help to make treatments much more comfortable.
You can also request additional pain-relief measures be taken during your treatment if needed.
After your procedure/Home Care:
If you have fillers or more complicated injection treatments, we will send you home with ice, oral and topical arnica (which has been shown to reduce the length and severity of bruising), and oral bromelain (also shown to reduce the likelihood and length of a bruise). You can purchase more at any drug or natural foods store.
Before the Instant-Lift with Threads treatments:
You may bruise or swell after a threads treatment. You may also have some bumps at the thread injection sites. These will soften and can also be treated by the doctor two weeks after your initial treatment.
Threads can feel “tight” at first. They will soften. The treatment area will be numbed prior to placement of threads for comfort. The areas may feel sore for several days after treatment. Applying ice to the area and using ibuprofen will help to provide pain relief. It is also important to not over-animate your face for the first week after getting threads, and you will want to be conscientious of this.
Before a Chemical Peel, IPL, or Laser Peel treatment:
- Discontinue tanning or the use of self-tanners in the treatment area for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment. We recommend always using a high quality sunscreen with a physical block, and reapplying every 2 hours.
- Avoid waxing in the treatment areas prior to your procedure.
- You will want to re-schedule your treatment if you become sun burned.
- Stop using skin care products with hydroquinone and Retin-A beginning one week prior to your procedure. If you have specific questions re. this, please give our office a call at 303-469-0064
- IPL may cause some temporary hair loss in the treated areas.
- With any IPL treatment, hair dye may absorb the light energy during treatment, so be sure to let our aesthetician know if you have recently dyed your hair.
- Be sure to arrive well hydrated on the day of your procedure.
- If you have a history of cold sores, please let us know prior to your procedure as Dr. Janowski may choose to pre-medicate you to avoid a potential outbreak.
- Post-treatment, your skin WILL BE more sun sensitive. Plan to avoid sun exposure and to wear sunscreen.
- After a Peel or Laser treatment, you skin will be red and possibly hot, and you may experience peeling or even swelling. Do NOT exfoliate your skin to accelerate the peeling process. Allow it to occur naturally to prevent hyperpigmentation, irritation, and even scarring.
- After an IPL treatment, your skin may be hot. Pigment on your skin will darken and flake off. Do NOT exfoliate your skin to accelerate the flaking process. Allow it to occur naturally to prevent hyperpigmentation.
You will need to discontinue tanning or the use of self-tanners in the treatment area for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment. We recommend always using a high quality sunscreen with a physical block, and reapplying every 2 hours.
You will want to re-schedule your treatment if you become sun burned.
Stop using skin care products with hydroquinone and Retin-A beginning 3-5 days prior to your procedure. If you have specific questions re. this, please give our office a call at 303-469-0064
Your skin may be red and sensitive post-procedure, and you may have some light pin-point bleeding. This generally resolves within hours. Please contact our office if you have any concerns. 303-469-0064
Before Laser Hair Removal:
- Laser Hair Removal uses light and heat energy to destroy hair follicles. For that reason, you cannot get a Laser Hair Removal treatment if you are overly tan, sunburned, or have used self- or spray- tanner in the past week.
- Discontinue the use of Retin-A/Retinols in the treated areas for one week prior to treatment.
- Do not use Accutane in the treatment areas for at least 6 months prior to any treatment.
- For bikini area, you will want to avoid wearing tight elastic at the treated area for a few days post-treatment.
- We ask that you remove makeup, perfumes, and powders from the treated area prior to treatment.
- The use of some herbs can increase the likelihood of a burn. You can contact our aesthetician or staff with specific questions.
- We cannot shave you, and you MUST arrive clean-shaven in the treatment areas prior to your appointment.
- If you have a history of oral herpes and are being treated around the mouth, Dr. Janowski may prescribe suppressive therapy prior to treatment. Please let our office know if that is a concern for you.
- Laser Hair Removal must be done as a series. Hair grows in cycles and you will never be able to target all of your hair with one treatment. Plan to do a series of treatments.
Schedule a consultation with Sonata Aesthetics today. Serving Broomfield, Denver, Westminster, Boulder, Arvada, and surrounding areas.